Summary: “A Missouri man [David Magnum] who told authorities he had [unprotected] sexual contact with as many 300 people since being diagnosed with HIV pleaded not guilty on Thursday to infecting another man with the virus, and prosecutors said more charges are expected.” Missouri is one of 37 states that criminalizes knowingly transmitting HIV to others. Magnum was also convicted of prostitution in Dallas and also advertised free sexual services to truckers and others on Craigslist. Authorities are using media to reach out to his many sexual partners that may not know they have been exposed to HIV.
1. What is the relationship between the law and spreading disease?
2. As more diseases are uncovered, how will policymakers react?
3. What were Magnum’s motives for not informing his sexual partners?
4. How can the media contribute to health and the spread of STDs?
5. Can HIV/AIDS and other STDs be used as a form of biological violence?
Original Article, For More Information: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57601629/man-charged-with-spreading-hiv-claims-300-partners/